Gabrielino High School
Dear GHS Eagle Families,
I hope you had a good summer and are safe and well. Despite the challenges we are facing, I am very excited to return to begin another year at Gabrielino High School. The first months of school will be very different from what we are used to. Instead of in person classes we will begin the year with Virtual Academies. Our teachers having been working diligently over the summer to create curriculum and instruction that is engaging, meaningful, and rigorous. I want to assure you that the GHS Administration, faculty, and staff are committed to providing our families the high quality education they expect and deserve.
Gabrielino had another change this summer. In July, Assistant Principal, Ruth Esseln left Gabrielino to become the Director of Student Support Services for the district. Ms. Esseln was an integral part of the GHS community. During her tenure she helped develop and lead many initiatives on our campus. We will miss her. Over the summer we hired a new assistant principal. I am very pleased to welcome Mr. Nick Genisauski to the Gabrielino family. Both Assistant Principals, Vince Lopez and Eva Shin, join me in welcoming Mr. Genisauski to our team. We are looking forward to working with you and your family.
As I begin another year as principal, I am proud to be associated with a student body and staff that continue to succeed as evidenced by the accomplishments during the first three quarters of the 2019-2020 school year:
- • GHS was named in the top 9% of schools nationally by U.S. News and World Report
• Girls’ Soccer won Mission Valley League, CIF Division, and Regional Division Championships
• The Speech team won their 23rd straight league championship
• Girls’ Volleyball won their 17th league championship
• Girls’ Golf won the league championship
• Gabrielino had their first CIF Wrestling Champion
• Multiple league individual championships, multiple teams in CIF playoffs, and players selected to All Area Teams
• The Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) qualified students for the State Championship
• Band went to SCSBOA championships, the choir qualified for the LA Choral Festival, and the Drama program held their first play in the new Black Box Theatre.
• 94% of the Class of 2020 plan to pursue post-secondary education, with over 50% attending four year colleges and universities
It would be tempting to think that these accomplishments are not possible to achieve during a pandemic. Granted it will be more difficult to perform a speech virtually, or be ready for fall athletic competition in December rather than August. It is going to take creativity and flexibility to provide activities for our students virtually or in small numbers when school reopens. With all of the uncertainty around us, the one thing we do know is that school will be different. Not bad, just different.
This school year our school theme is “Rising to the Challenge.” We will face challenges as we present curriculum in a virtual academies. We will face challenges in meeting the social and emotional needs of our students while socially distancing. We will face challenges in preparing our schools to receive our students back on site. We will face challenges in offer a vibrant extracurricular program. We will face the challenge of operating with lower budgets. The list seems insurmountable, but I now we will rise to meet them. I have worked with this community for thirteen years and know that there is nothing we cannot accomplish. Our families always rise to the challenge!
I am honored to have the opportunity to work with the exceptional GHS staff, students, and parents. Together we will continue the tradition of excellence that has made Gabrielino such a unique and original place. The Gabrielino staff is looking forward to working with you and your family.
Best wishes for a successful school year and Go Eagles!
School Motto: Pride-Tradition-Honor
Mission of Gabrielino: A Commitment to Constant And Never-Ending Improvement (CANI)
Vision Statement: Building Upon the Strengths, Talents, and Passions of all Students