In years that followed, new staff members were added. Like the first staff, they brought new voices, ideas, and experiences. As the years passed programs were added, and expanded, and the school was, and continues to be recognized for academic and extracurricular excellence. We have achieved this again, as evidenced by the accomplishments earned during the 2017-2018 school year:
• Gabrielino was awarded a 6 year term of accreditation
• GHS was named in the top 9% of schools nationally by U.S. News and World Report
• Gabrielino was recognized as a Star School by the Educational Results Partnership (ERP) and the Campaign for Business and Education Excellence
• GHS had 5 national merit finalists and one national merit scholarship winner
• The Speech team won their 21st straight league championship and had a State Champion in U.S. Extemporaneous Speaking
• Girls’ Volleyball won their 15th league championship
• Girls’ Varsity Soccer won their fifth straight Mission League Championship and played in the semi-final round of CIF play-off competition
• Girls’ Basketball, Girls’ Golf, Boys’ Golf won league championships
• Multiple league individual championships, league MVPs, multiple teams in CIF playoffs, and players selected to All Area Teams
• The Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) took students to the State and National Championships
• Three plays, five concerts, band went to SCSBOA championships, and gold and superior ratings for choir and orchestra
• 97% of the Class of 2018 plan to pursue post-secondary education, with 55% attending four year colleges and universities
Over the last nine years I have asked the GHS community to “Go Forward”, “Live the Vision”, “Be the Difference”, demonstrate “Excellence in Action”, “Be Original”, focus on “Inspiring Imagination”, to “Think Big”, focus on “Creating Opportunities”, and be “Right Here, Right Now.” Each theme spoke to where we were as a school in that particular year. During the 2018-2019 school year Gabrielino will expand its collaboration program to provide more inclusion of students with special needs in core curriculum classes. The school will also begin the first phase of integrating English Learners into college preparatory courses while providing additional language support. GHS site level teams will continue to meet to analyze data to determine instructional best practices, intervention programs, and steps for the continual expansion of CTE pathways for career and college readiness. Each of these initiatives illustrates our school theme for 2018-2019, “Foundations and Innovations”. These programs are built on the foundations laid over the last 25 years and are innovative in their approach to ensuring all GHS students are ready for life beyond graduation.
As we celebrate our 25th year, I want to thank SGUSD’s Governing Board and District Administration for their support of Gabrielino High School. I also want to thank Gabrielino’s exceptional teachers, staff, and parents. Your commitment and dedication to our students and programs have made Gabrielino one of the best schools in the nation and state. Our school shines because of your efforts!
Best wishes for a successful school year and Go Eagles!